I am the owner of this home on the Madawaska River West of Ottawa. I invite you to come and stay. It is a place to rest and find peace whether you are traveling for business, family or recreation. This forum will provide updates, events and developments within the home and in the area.

Welcome to my home

Welcome to my home

Saturday, September 27, 2014

The 1920's to 1940's


The Arnprior Guest House was known for housing creative people.  This elegant home with its little part of nature is a beautiful setting that engages the senses and is perfect for releasing creative energies.  I have done my only drawings and paintings while living here and even dabbled in poetry. 

This has also shown up in my exploration of the history of the house and its families.  After Francis Wait owned the house it was sold to Mr. Grierson who sold it to Samuel Caldwell.  Samuel left the house to his daughter Winnifred (Cook).  It seems at the time it was traditional to leave homes and property to women as something like dowries, some equity to bring into their marriages.  Many of these names are still common in the area and certainly are prevalent in the local cemetery.

I actually met members of the next family who owned the house in the 1940's.  The Cooks sold the house to Martha Olsener who lived here from 1939-1944.  In 2011 I had a surprise visit from a young man and a lovely dressed elderly woman who introduced herself as one of the Olsener sisters. 

Unfortunately I've got to run, but I'll continue my story soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment