I am the owner of this home on the Madawaska River West of Ottawa. I invite you to come and stay. It is a place to rest and find peace whether you are traveling for business, family or recreation. This forum will provide updates, events and developments within the home and in the area.

Welcome to my home

Welcome to my home

Friday, September 26, 2014

The History of a Home

The Arnprior Guest House was built around 1900.  It was first owned by John Gillan who then sold it to John T. Wait.  Mr. Wait was a well known apothecary during a time when Homeopathy was a recognized and government supported profession.  His homeopathic remedies can still be found online.  He bought the house later in his life and upon his death left it and all his wealth to his wife, Frances. There is a long history to this house that is located on the original highway that used to run from Ottawa to Pembroke. 

I have had the privilege of meeting several previous owners of this house and am glad to know that it has been a place of comfort and nurture.  I will continue with the story of its interesting residents in my next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment